Profile image for kelly_wake

Bushy Coombe Nature Reserve - just heard a rumour that this is going up for sale. Does anybody know if this is true? We've just arrived here and thought it was a public nature reserve owned by the council. We walk our dogs there.. It's a shame if it gets built on.

By kelly_wake at 08:00 on 19/01/12

Re-post           

• Profile image for NickCottle

Hi Kelly , only one way to find out ,ask the owner , i shall email him later this evening .

Regards .

Nick

By NickCottle at 20:06 on 22/01/12

• Profile image for deano361

When we were kids we used to play on Bushy Coombe and our kids all did the same. Course, it wasn't such a mess then and overgrown and the conker tree has died. It was great for sledging in them days (too many brambles now) and we dammed up the stream and scumped the apples and made dens in the barn

It'd be a shame if the wrong person bought it but I shouldn't think they'd let them build houses. Any rate, I don't reckon they'd have much luck keeping the kids out of there even if they tried. Or the grown ups neither, come to that. Everyone goes everywhere now.

By deano361 at 09:06 on 27/01/12

• Profile image for anand88

Hi Deano361

People still play on Bushy Coombe. This is good..

The conker tree has been replanted, and sweet chestnuts and lots of others too. Brambles have their uses (wildlife habitat, fruit, tree regeneration) and for the last couple of years they haven't stopped people sledging in the snow - there's still a good run. The footpath is now negotiable, no longer slippery mud. Community events such as the maypole and Beltane fire are now staged on the coombe. While the badger population has declined a bit, the deer have certainly been more numerous in the last few years

As we said, it is not yet certain that some of Bushy Coombe will be up for sale this year. If it is, I feel sure the right person/people will buy it..

By anand88 at 16:29 on 27/01/12

• Profile image for kelly_wake

I think you said it was going for sale by auction. If that's the case it's the highest bidder who will buy it and they will do whatever they want with it.

By kelly_wake at 21:06 on 27/01/12

You're twice wrong, Kell !

Relax. Please read our original post to you again: at the moment it is still just a possibility that we may have to sell part of the coombe this year to raise money for care for my mum.

If that happens (and I'm hoping it wont) it would be by auction or tender. But no, any new owner/s, if there were one, would not be able to do whatever they want with it, as Deano has already pointed out.

OK ?

By anand88 at 06:23 on 28/01/12

• Profile image for martinwheeler

"it's the highest bidder who will buy it and they will do whatever they want with it"

So ?
    And what *exactly* has that to do with you ?
    Just because you want a piece of private property to be what YOU would LIKE it to be -- that is, public property -- doesn't mean that you can make tetchy remarks about it simply because you're now miffed at realizing your own mistake.

If you're so concerned, then make the current owner an offer on it -- *IF* he puts it up for auction.
    Then you can gift it to the town.
    OK ?

By martinwheeler at 16:49 on 28/01/12

• Profile image for kelly_wake

I don't care who owns it as long as we can all continue to roam over it.. I don't have the money to buy it and if the new generous owner wants to give it to the town then that would be brilliant but who's going to do that?

By kelly_wake at 20:01 on 28/01/12

"I don't care who owns it as long as we can all continue to roam over it"

Hmm. Interesting attitude you have to private property belonging to others.
    "What's yours is mine" -- is that it ?
    Do you apply this to *all* private property you take a personal fancy to ?
    Care to elaborate on just exactly *why* you feel you have this 'right' ?

By martinwheeler at 01:48 on 29/01/12

Kelly_wake said:
    "I don't care who owns it as long as we can all continue to roam over it"

martinwheeler replied
    Hmm. Interesting attitude you have to private property belonging to others.
    "What's yours is mine" -- is that it ?
    Do you apply this to *all* private property you take a personal fancy to ?
    Care to elaborate on just exactly *why* you feel you have this 'right' ?

Are you going to answer these questions, Kelly?

By anand88 at 07:56 on 03/02/12

• Profile image for Academic

What's the current situation. It should remain intact. It is important historically (I am a historian) and of extreme spiritual importance!!!

By Academic at 15:20 on 26/09/12

• Profile image for NiceGuyKoresh

Dunno, NIck Cottle was gonna email the owner according to his post above but obviously couldn't be bothered to feed back to the readers here. Typical politician.

By NiceGuyKoresh at 18:25 on 26/09/12

Hello Nice Guy , been missing your comments on gwell , anyway the owner has answered the question , if you read the thread you will work out who owns the Coombe.
    Your normaly on the ball , so i am surpriced at your cheap jibe .

Cheers

Nick

By NickCottle at 22:29 on 26/09/12

Hi Nice Guy , thats a bit of a jibe from you , anyway the owner has been posing on this thread , i am sure you can work out who that is , if you engage the grey matter .
    And missing your comments on gwell , Earl has been in full flow .

Cheers

Nick

By NickCottle at 22:32 on 26/09/12

Hi Nice Guy , thats a bit of a jibe from you , anyway the owner has been posing on this thread , i am sure you can work out who that is , if you engage the grey matter .
    And missing your comments on gwell , Earl has been in full flow .

Cheers

Nick

By NickCottle at 22:33 on 26/09/12

What the hell is "spiritchewall" about Bushy Coombe ?
    Come on !
    Just because all you freaky NewAgers think that *everything* about Glastonbury is magic(k)al, mystical, spiritual, and all that cr+p, doesn't mean that what you desperately want to believe is actally *true* in any way.
    Alleged "historian" or not, it's all a load of little spheroids to most of us.

By martinwheeler at 23:01 on 26/09/12

What the hell is "spiritchewall" about Bushy Coombe ?
    Come on !
    Just because all you freaky NewAgers think that *everything* about Glastonbury is magic(k)al, mystical, spiritual, and all that cr+p, doesn't mean that what you desperately want to believe is actally *true* in any way.
    Alleged "historian" or not, it's all a load of little spheroids to most of us.

By martinwheeler at 23:02 on 26/09/12

Hi Nick,

You know I like my cheap jibes; no offence meant; and of course I know who owns Bushy Combe, who cut down the Holy thorn and who is behind the chemtrail conspiracy.

Hmm, I'm also well aware of the recent conversations on GWell. The constant bickering between EBH and LB has eventually worn me down and I end up deleting whole swathes of posts without reading them. Until a month ago I read (or at very least scanned) every one of them.

By NiceGuyKoresh at 07:18 on 27/09/12

Intesting banter. First, having a PhD, being an author and lecturing in history (not new-age) makes me a historian. Second I am a broad-minded Christian. Third, I believe that the site is as important (historically and spiritually) as any in the locality.

By Academic at 12:46 on 27/09/12

I've a CSE, read Razzle and hail Satan. I think it's buncombe (a *******isation of Bushy Combe no doubt).

By NiceGuyKoresh at 13:57 on 27/09/12

"I believe that the site is as important (historically and spiritually) as any in the locality"

Oh dear. As they're *all* massively over-hyped and of almost nil historical interest, that means it's totally *UN*important in any way at all. ******.

[P.S. -- Did you get your PhD from the Universal Life Church website ? That's where I got mine. They're great, aren't they ?]

By martinwheeler at 14:44 on 27/09/12

Now, now children. Archaeology includes a Roman road and what appears to be a ceremonial path/route possibly from Abbey to the Tor. There are also tradition and documentary indicators of much more.

I have know this town and its environs for more than 40 years and in that time the infilling, building and loss of green spaces in and around the town has been considerable. Think Tor Fields. Reaction to this tragedy has largely been from those New Agers you so despise - perhaps you owe more to them than you realise. Or perhaps you don't mind the loss of this English Jerusalem to the developers? If Bushy Combe remains a nature reserve forever I will be very pleased whether there is unlimited public access or not.

By Academic at 15:09 on 27/09/12

Forgot to mention medieval remains around Dod Lane including sites of buildings and 12th Century pottery. Tenth-Twelth Century pottery and other artefacts together with worked flints found at the eastern side of the Combe by means of a single trench as I recall. Only scratched the surface, so to speak.

By Academic at 15:29 on 27/09/12

Sorry - degree, masters and doctorate all from a very well-known British university. If you think the abbey is unimportant you must be one of Thomas Cromwell's agents and iconoclasts. I understand your local cynicism, but you are living on top of a very rich archaeological resource as much as anything else.

By Academic at 16:47 on 27/09/12

• Profile image for DorothyFreud

Academic - you asked awhile ago what the status of this land is, it's back on the market , people have been posting information on glastonbury noticeboard. The details are with Cooper and Tanner http://tinyurl.com/ovu96kg

It says in its description "The property may offer some long term development potential due to its proximity to the Towns development limits. ".

By DorothyFreud at 19:55 on 04/08/13

• Profile image for ruaridhweigh

We are having to sell the Bushy Coombe valley on the north side of Chalice Hill to pay for backlog and ongoing care for my mother who needs 24/7 care now. We don't want any more money than we paid for it ten years ago (see guide price) but are looking for the right buyer who will look after it and no development. My son Tara may be in the running if he can get an offer together. If he does we will accept his offer of course, but it has already been nearly two years with his solicitor. There is also a local group trying to raise money for group ownership... So any interested parties are very welcome to put in an offer before the end of the month...
    15 hours ago ·

By ruaridhweigh at 11:33 on 08/08/13

• Profile image for mikesey

I'm very glad to read that, ruaridweigh!
    In fact I had a professional person take a look at Bushy Coombe as to its likely building potential. He reported that it was outside the town development area, (planning permission will not be given)and that no "developer" (actually known as a 'vulture') would consider building on that land anyway.
    I am appreciative of the costs of care for a relative nowadays, and sincerely hope that you get the necessary finance to help your mum.

Thanks for being so understanding of our concern, that yet more Legoland red bricked chicken coops will add to the destruction of our town. I have yet to consult with the owner of the adjacent top part of the hill, Clifford Gould, to see what he thinks of all this. As you know, he is fiercely protective of his property.

By mikesey at 11:53 on 11/08/13

Join the Discussion

max 4000 characters

Search for...

Min price is bigger than Max price

Min price is bigger than Max price

Min rent is bigger than Max rent